Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I think I 'm in trouble now

It seems that every winter when the gardening magazines publish the seed starting articles I get all excited and plan seed purchases. The thing is, I never sow the seeds I do buy. Instead all the pretty packages sit in a plastic bag in my coat closet (don't ask) waiting to be set free. Then yesterday at the grocery store check-out I spied the Fine Gardening special issue of sowing seeds for the spring. Of course I picked it up and took it home. I am a big fan of Fine Gardening. I read all the articles. Last night I ordered seeds. Six kinds. Which ones you ask politely?

Actaea rubra or red baneberry (how I hope it is the red one!!)
Sanguisorba officinalis or burnet
Gillenia trifoliata or Indian physic
Eryngium yuccifolium or Rattlesnake master and
Chelone glabra or turtlehead in white.

All very exciting natives for me. Some are impossible to find as plants around here and so the logic is I will grow them from seed. All this means some serious planning. I need all the supplies, well mostly the soiless mix, and to write out a sowing schedule. A couple of flat surfaces will lose their objets d'art to be replaced with plastic protection and seeds sown in pots. I do have a light, one of those hanging overhead ones my hubby bought for me when I was killing orchids, though never used. Maybe I will have him actually install it. Provided I follow through on these wonderful plans I will post my progress here. Wish me luck. No, wish me momentum.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you good luck. I have done this before and I think the hardest thing was having very little space for all the flats. The second thing was the remembering to water and water properly. This might be a challenge since you say you are neglectful to houseplants! Perhaps blogging about their progress will keep you on track!

    ReplyDelete