Sunday, July 18, 2010

Veggie dreams

A beautiful day today with very little humidity. Since our return from holiday I have been slowly catching up on the weeding and thinning out of plants. Most of the summer flowers are out now and taking advantage of the hot weather.

Last year we put in a small vegetable garden in a raised bed. It was only 3x3 feet. It had lots of greens such as spinach, kale, and a green lettuce. Also chives, green onions, parsley and one cherry tomato plant. This year we did not get around to planting anything, and we are regretting it now. How did we fritter that time away or was it just neglect ? When I reflect on it our first attempt went very well. We grew everything from seed. I remember standing there, watering can in hand, thinking how ridiculous I felt watering bare earth for weeks. That is until some green started to poke through. Then the miracle of plants forming and growing taller and larger with each day. I don't believe there is a better feeling of satisfaction than harvesting your own food, even if it's from a tiny plot.

Last fall I planted some garlic and pulled it up this week. All 5 plants. One will be for eating and one will go to family and the rest will be planted this fall for next year. We'll see how that goes; I have a feeling I will be at the grocer in October buying garlic to plant.

What started me on these thoughts was getting up this morning and going to the back of the house where there is a black raspberry bush. I had been eyeing it for the past few days and thinking it was time to collect some berries. And that is what I did. Fresh berries on my cereal this morning. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment