Wednesday, April 13, 2011

We made it to Spring

Last week Burlington made it into spring. I can no longer pout and feel sorry for the lack of life in the gardens. Nothing much up yet, but here are a few snaps of what has emerged as of today.

Sedum "Frosty Morn"
Sedum 'Frosty Morn' has been in my garden for many many years. Like all sedum it is an easy care (or ignore) plant as it is trouble free. Frosty Morn is variegated and it does revert from time to time. Needless to say I have a limitless supply of green sedum whenever I want. Propagation is a piece of cake: snip off a bit and into water and you have a new plant. Last year was the first time I found seedlings in the garden bed. By some miracle it got pollinated and made babies that survived -lucky me.

Thalictrum
I can't find the name of this Thalictrum but is has airy frothy pink flowers like its cousins. This plant (one of two) is new to me still, but is doing better than its sibling already. 

Wild Columbine
 Canada's Wild Columbine with the scarlet petals and yellow anthers. Always a beauty and a pleasure to see in my garden. I keep the Wild Columbine away from other hybrids to avoid cross pollination and so far it is working. They say it is attractive to hummingbirds but I have never seen.


Galanthus or Snowdrops
What garden is without the Snowdrop? I never knew how much it is admired and collected until I read many many posts on the Snowdrop earlier this spring. I was also ignorant of the fact that there are so many varieties out there. Perhaps a connoisseur of the Galanthus species might like to identify this one....

 
Lastly, are some mini daffodils. Two kinds. One I can't remember the name but the other is Tete-a-tete. I don't understand why, but I am not a fan of the large daffodils. They strike me as odd looking, and with the new colours available (peach) my thoughts immediately say, ugh. 
So there  you have it, my contribution to the early spring display. Finally.

7 comments:

  1. Witam.W moim ogródku niestety śliczne, delikatne przebiśniegi już przekwitły. Ja uwielbiam żonkile małe i duże,dla mnie one wnoszą słońce do ogrodu. Dziękuję za odwiedziny i zapraszam do odwiedzania mojego ogródka. Pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have a big smile today and no more pouting after the very welcoming snowdrop bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it not great. Warmer weather and growing plants, but do you have the frozen mix predicted for Friday? Not looking forward to that when the daffodils are ready to open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words.

    GWGT- no, we are getting sun and a high of 7 celcius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patty,
    I can't believe it, but it is actually snowing here!
    Our gardens seem to be on a similar trajectory- plants and bulbs are up, but seem to be waiting now for warmer weather to settle in. We are definitely having a late spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay...those first few signs of life are pretty much the most exciting time of the gardening season!

    ReplyDelete