Thursday, June 2, 2011

Last of the Spring Flowers

Some of you must be in full summer swing by now. I know this. I read your blogs and see your wonderful photos. Here we are still a bit behind by about two weeks and so there are still some spring flowers in the garden at Pomona. 

the last of the Redbud

Labrador Tea

Growing the Labrador Tea is still a mystery to me. It is a circumpolar plant and therefore can take a range of conditions. However, as you can see there is either sun scald or winter burn or wind burn from over the winter. This has happened since I planted this three years ago. It goes brown over winter and then does a partial recovery in spring. Obviously I have to move it, as it is not happy with its accommodations, but where to?

Phlox 1
Phlox 2

Phlox 1 and 2 are the same plants. This is a special plant for me because of all the effort I have put into the two measly plants I could find. I am 99% sure it is a Phlox subulata but in broadleaf form. I have searched for three years now for additional plants but no such luck. The plant was to grow it around the base of the Black Walnut tree. Today I can say I am succeeding, but it has been yearly cutting stems and replanting them, in order to have come so far. 

Shooting Stars
The beautiful white form of Shooting Stars. I only have one plant. I could have added the pink form but I like the white.

Wild Columbine
Columbine (L) and Geranium maculatum(R) in bed
The columbine is growing in almost every bed I have. It is not happy to be in one place for too long, it is free spirited and so moves right along where ever there is an open spot. I do not grow any other kind of columbine as they are also quite promiscuous and I would prefer to keep mine pure.

False Solomon Seal
Here is the False Solomon Seal in bloom. It is similar to the bugbane, below.


Bugbane
Lastly, Bugbane or Cimicifuga racemosa, now Actea racemosa, is the native one for North America. I have a few plants and they have been very hard to come by around here as the Chinese ones are everywhere. This is the first to bloom this year and is a beauty.
These plants are all native to southern Ontario and are all woodland plants. If you missed some of the earlier ones check out an older post here.
Next time we'll move to the front of the house for some sun lovers. We'll see what's in bloom then.

7 comments:

  1. Wszędzie, wszystkie kwiatki są piękne.Pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is over for me. The rainy season has already started. You're perseverance with the phlox will pay off soon. I'm so impressed with what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giga: Thank you for the kind words.

    Bom: Well I guess you can now enjoy our summer blooms. Thanks for the encouragement regarding the phlox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday and today have been unbelievably hot and humid. Most unusual for the shore of Lake Michigan. Since it is way to hot to work in the Gardens at Waters East, it is a good time to catch up on your Blog and other Blogs I am following. Nice seeing the Spring flower photos. Here we are getting the last of them too. With heat like yesterday and today, they will have had it! Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patty,
    I definitely would like to have more natives in my garden and so I was interested to read your post. Where did you find the Labrador Tea? It is very pretty and worth the fuss of relocating it. I was also really taken with the shooting stars ( have always have wanted some) and the false Solomon Seal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patty! Your woodland garden looks so lush and cool! Love the shooting stars too...a lovely flower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed seeing your blooms. I planted a wild columbine this year that I got at a plant sale. It was a nice sized plant, and I hope more come up from its seeds next year. I do have a few other kinds, but they are not very close to the wild one.

    I hope to find some shooting stars to plant this fall.

    ReplyDelete