Monday, July 18, 2011

It's 27 celcius in the House

From the title you can be sure of two things: a) it is friggin' hot here and b) we don't have air conditioning!

I am hot and sticky and await cool rain with impatience. Needless to say I seem to await in vain. Oh well. On the positive side almost all the weeding is caught up. A neighbour's ash tree must be at the height of its seed cycle as the seedlings are in the thousands and it seems that they are all germinating. I have been pulling them out in the handfuls of late. Mulch? They survive through the mulch. Woe is me. 
On the negative side my two (brand new) rain barrels are now empty. Rain dance, rain dance.
On the plus side the flowers are blooming with great speed. I will catch you up on some of them.

Bright and blue - I have two kinds of Blue Eyed Grass. The first one is 'Lucerne', the second one's name is forgotten.


This one prefers to seed itself in the gravel

Here is a photo of the Common Moss rose that did not make it in the last post, plus another.

A beauty and smells divine too

A patio rose called Royal Bassimo

I am growing Spikenard which is a native plant. Large plants with large leaves and lots of dark red berries in the fall. The first one is over six feet tall and still growing.

Monster Spikenard 1
Spikenard 2 -This one is a baby in comparison
Tasty garlic scapes. Quite artistic looking aren't they?
Butterfly weed and Beebalm - a loud combo
Lavender fronting a blooming sedum

Finally, my prized possession for the year, a simple oakleaf hydrangea. Prized because this poor plant had been rabbit-pruned badly over the last two years (partially my fault, but the rabbits get most of the blame). I am overjoyed to see it recover so well and bloom for me this summer.

8 comments:

  1. What happened to your garlic? Very funny. I also like the little flower that seeded itself in the gravel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is how garlic grows Denise. The scapes are where the flower comes from. So if you don't want the future seed you cut off the scapes and cook them at dinner. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, Join the hot ones! It is so very hot here today and humid. Not my kind of weather. Thought if I lived here at Lake Michigan I would have cool Summers. Well not this year. But I must say, things are really showing color and growing very well. It is me who is rather withered. Nice photos today. We had a couple of storms go through today, posted an opening picture of that and others today. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look up the Fahrenheit conversion. Yes, it is hot in your house. Ours has gotten almost that hot inside, too. We are expecting the heat to continue a couple days, then Thursday and Friday, it is supposed to be cooler, 92 degrees.

    I love garlic scapes, too. I spaced my garlic farther apart last fall, and we also had lots of rain this summer. Some of my garlic got huge, and the center stem hasn't dried on those. I froze some today in case they don't store well in the basement.

    I've seen blue eyed grass, but have never grown it. I sure like it. I'll have to see if I have a spot for some.

    I am watching tv while I blog, so I can't remember if there was something else I was going to comment on. I hope you get some relief from the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, poor thing. Not to have any air conditioning during a heat wave would be brutal. It's hot here but we're at least used to it and prepared!

    Your garden looks happy regardless. Love the artistic flair of the garlic and happy to see the 'common' rose in bloom. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not get here from Blotanical for some reason. Hot, hot and more heat. No air conditioning would be a tragedy. No rain either. None here for weeks, although there was promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patty,
    27 will soon feel like nothing! Get ready for the high 30's today! I can identify with the dilemma of having no air conditioning in the house. We only have a couple of small window units that only manage to take the edge off the extreme heat. (Our 100 years old house has radiators).
    Your pink rose is very pretty. It is great that the bunnies gave your hydrangea enough of a break that it has blooms. I'd love to get some of that blue-eyed grass. So pretty!
    Do you think it is ever going to rain???

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're the nth person with a post featuring scapes as well as saying how delicious they are. Must try planting garlic next. My onions were a failure so I'll have to rethink and try again. Growing them in containers is quite a challenge.

    I hope you've gotten your rain or that it gets much cooler soonest.

    ReplyDelete