Thursday, September 1, 2011

A 'Small' Crop of Garlic

Garlic. I love garlic, hubby loves garlic. I purchased Canadian garlic two years ago and have now had two crops. Two crops of disappointing garlic. At first I wondered, is it me or is it them. Well that's a no brainer, it is me. Well not me specifically but rather where I planted the bulbs and the conditions under which they have thrived.

The property on which we live is large and yet only has pockets of sunshine through out the day. Most of it is in varying levels of shade, and that is of course problem number one - not enough sun. Where there is sun is where I have been planting my sun loving plants and so that relegated the garlic to the less than premium location. The soil in that location is pretty good and it is fairly quick draining as the tiny vegetable plot is in a raised bed. I harvested the bulbs (all 6 of them) in mid August as the leaves were yellowing and I think that was the right thing to do. So, I think the lack of required sunshine may be the main reason the bulbs I carefully removed from the ground are so small. 

This fall I will shift their location to improve the sun deficiency and we shall find out next year if that helps. The photos that follow will show you their growth and eventual harvest.








Looks are deceiving. The largest bulb is only 2 inches across and the smallest 1 1/4 inches with only two cloves. Oh well. I will plant the larger cloves for next year and the rest will end up on some garlic toast along with a glass of wine. Bon appetit.

7 comments:

  1. I still think your garlic looks funny, even if it is supposed to look like that. Very arty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look pretty good! The structure of the flowers is so pretty. Enjoy your cloves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My one client had garlic in a shady condition and it gets very large cloves. But I agree, it like sun much better. You got a nice crop there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love garlic and nothing seems wrong with your crop. Especially since you'll be getting garlic bread. :-D Trying the sun sounds like a great idea. I wouldn't know myself since I have zero talent for growing edibles, unfortunately. Good luck with your next crop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patty, I am glad that I read your post because I have been thinking of planting some garlic this fall. (Fall is the time to plant them no?) I will be sure to plant them on the sunny side of my veggie garden. I will be pleased enough if my harvest is at least as good as yours! (I have failed miserably as a veggie gardener this summer.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The structure of the flowers is so pretty. I am glad that I read your post because I have been thinking of planting some garlic this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Garlic is such a regal plant when in bud. Good luck next year.

    ReplyDelete