Thursday, February 9, 2012

Winter at the Royal Botanical Garden

Every year at this time I make a trip to the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton. This winter they have an exhibit on chocolate with some taste testings, if you can make it through the crowd. 

My dad and me

A visit to the Mediterranean room is also a must which holds tropical plants. This garden has its ups and downs, and this year it was ok. Some of it has to do with timing. I try to get there when the jasmine is in bloom and I always seem to miss it. Too early this year.
This year was the Glass under Glass exhibit in the Mediterranean room which features glass pieces from local artists. There were some interesting pieces which are following below. 






unknown snowdrop






shocking pink Mandevilla




gardenia




bird of paradise




Medinilla magnifica



This is what it looked like while were enjoying ourselves.It is actually snowing in the photo but it is hard to see. Needless to say the snow was gone 24 hours later.

3 comments:

  1. I have to get to Hamilton some day. This looked like a nice place to visit. Funny to see the snow right outside the window. We are getting snow today after all the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever decide to come up for a visit I'd be happy to give you a tour. Just send me an email!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great visit Patty -good thing I brought my camera! Maybe I'll get there this summer too when we can go through all the gardens.

    ReplyDelete