Thursday, March 22, 2012

Return from Canada Blooms Garden Show

My first speaking engagement at Canada Blooms was a success. I spoke on the history of Canadian gardens as one of the master gardeners for Ontario. While attendance was low according to those who know better than I, I had some great feedback from those that came to hear me talk. Thank goodness because I never got rid of that feeling of nerves, it plagued me the entire time. Over. Done. Next?

I have been to Canada Blooms a few times before and as usual saw some many wonderful plant displays, especially those that were judged. Here are some photos to help you visualize:

To me this says cheery au naturel with the daisies. There were a few other displays trying to create a natural feel. 


Ice cream anyone?





Quite the beautiful formal dress. They used cymbidium orchids amongst the green. In fact orchids seemed to be the plant of the show -they were everywhere. The new daffodil perhaps?



Fantastic shoes by the makers of the dress.


This was a cool display. Wavy wood holding beds of herbs and flowering perennials.


Within the designed edge they were growing moss.



A different view.


The Taipei Garden was a visual treat with tall bamboo, white orchids grown vertically and then the rounds of boxwood  with dwarf orchids (the latest thing) and edged with ... ah...something blue.



A sample of a green roof design filled with various ground covers.




Here's me presenting my talk on Canadian Gardening, eh!


It was a full day for me as I also volunteered at the master gardener advice clinic for a few hours. We did get an impression of the show from other attendees; a small show compared to other years and not as well attended. Too bad. Hopefully things will improve. A friend just came back from his first time to the Philadelphia International Garden Show and was blown away by it. Definitely on my list for next time.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your MG presentation, Patty! You do such a fine job of giving an interesting perspective of gardening on your blog...I'm sure the audience was genuinely interested in your topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. No one walked out during the presentation which I take to be a positive thing. ;)

      Delete
  2. Patty I am sure you gave a wonderful speech/presentation.
    I wish I could get to one of those shows but it isn't in the cards for me .. thanks for posting these great pictures .. I really love the bamboo display and the "green" roof .. wonderful !!
    Joy : )
    Were there any out of the ordinary gardening questions asked ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go you!!!!!!! Where's the Youtube video :-) Love the flower shoes but sadly I have nothing to go with them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patty, Glad the talk went well. I would have been a wreck with nerves, if I had to do the same! I went to the show on Saturday and was not impressed at all! In fact, I am not sure if I would go again next year. Canada Blooms hasn't been the same since the recession hit.
    P.S. I am taking an interview test in May in hopes of becoming a master gardener. I was thinking of taking classes through the college in N.S. as it seems a bit cheaper than through the University of Guelph. Guelph is were you did your master gardening training isn't it? Am I making a mistake in choosing N.S. do you think?

    ReplyDelete