Friday, May 18, 2012

Pussytoes

I heard the name of Pussytoes before I ever saw a picture of the plant. I was looking into possible native plants for the garden and came across this odd and curious name. Then one day the reverse happened and I found a photo of this curious plant and eventually read that it is called Pussytoes.
There is no need to explain its name.


Its full name is Antennaria howellii Greene ssp. canadensis (Greene) Bayer or Canadian pussytoes.
Quite the mouthful. 
This one prefers the eastern side of the country.





It tends to prefer rocky or open areas and therefore is suitable to rock gardens or perhaps scree gardens. I am hoping it will survive in a sunny dryish location along with some ferns and wild ginger. I know, I know, it doesn't sound very scree-ish but it's the best I can do.


Apparently there is a pink form. Ooooh!


3 comments:

  1. This is a new plant to me. Yes, I can certainly see how it got its name. I've never heard of scree gardens. Must look up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got this pussytoes into the drier garden bed finally. Here's to a long life in the garden.

      Delete
  2. I think mine is a different variety. I have several plants, and while I love the foliage, I hope they bloom this year.

    ReplyDelete