Monday, June 11, 2012

Catching Up

Busy busy busy. Most of it in my garden which is a very good thing. For now let's catch up on what has been blooming and now close to finishing.


First, two new additions to the garden. This one is R. 'Fascination' a Yakushimanum. It is very similar to Ken Janek (also in the garden) but hey, I like it.


The second is Lemon Lights azalea. This is my first azalea. I have always admired the flowers especially as they bloom so early, but never sure about not being evergreen. I am not much of a stick admirer but I will have to get over that. Here's another photo of the flowers:


Amazing colour!



Here's a mellower yellow with rosa hugonis 'Father Hugo'. I have had this species rose for four years now and this year it rewarded me with close to one hundred blooms. This type of rose is an awkward fit in the garden. It is like a teenager, all limbs, flailing about. However each of those limbs is covered with a dozen or so blooms all the way along each stem. Magnificent.


Blue eyed grass - a species native to our area

I always look forward to the return of the Blue eyed grasses. They are found all over North America and they all are easily recognizable. Notice the difference in the shape of the petals between the one on top and the photos below. I recently found out that there is a naturally pink flowering blue eyed grass.

Blue eyed grass 'Lucerne'



Last summer our master gardener group went on a tour of the nurseries at Sheridan Gardens in Georgetown, Ontario. While at their gift shop, oops I mean Garden Center, I and a friend found the native climbing honeysuckle sempervirens. Well we both certainly hoped it was so, as we both (it turned out) coveted and had been searching for the elusive sempervirens for years. I believe I can say with certainty and pride that we are the proud owners of this gorgeous plant. (If I am wrong please let me down gently)

sigh
Well that is all the catching up for now. As I am not caught up stay tuned for part 2.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Patty, Your new rhodo and azalea are very pretty. I admire you for taking on these challenging shrubs (challenging in Ontario at any rate). I once tried Blue eyed grass, but it did not take. Must try it again after seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, Lucerne can be found at the nurseries and seems to be fine in regular soil. Mine has lost some of its original heft but then I do not fertilize and the nurseries do. The other seems to really like a dry, limestone soil as it is seeding itself in the gravel.

      Delete
  2. I never had any luck with Lemon Lights, unfortunately. They were always short lived at about three years. Hope you have a better time with this plant. I really do like the Blue-Eyed grass. I never used it but may after seeing your image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that about Lemon Lights. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

      Delete
  3. Patty, what a great plant combination - Blue Eyed Grass and Wild Ginger. I've seen the most Blue Eyed grass in Ontario, it's less common in Minnesota unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That combo was by chance. I had a space and so planted the grass. I admit they do look nice together.

      Delete