Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Animalia

Over the long weekend we had two very different animal sightings. First is a lady bird or lady bug:


This is its true colour out of the sunlight
 
I have been unable to find out what kind of lady bug this is. It is brown with 14 black spots ringed in white. The pronotum ( new word for me) is black and white, with possibly two white spots by the eyes. The lady bug sites I found do not show this creature.

Later that evening we had the great fortune of seeing a Saw Whet Owl. Our attention was hijacked by a ruckus created by some robins and jays. Eventually the culprit emerged from the trees and showed himself off to us.


They are not a big owl, only getting to 7 or 8 inches (17-22 cm.) in length.


As it was dusk I had a difficult time getting a good picture. The first two are with flash, the last two are without flash.







Addendum: It appears I was mistaken on the type of owl. This owl is a juvenile Eastern Screech Owl. I looked up images of the saw whet after I posted and found differences in the plumage as well as, saw whet owls do not have ear tufts. I was close but no cigar as the saying goes. They are the same size owl at eight and a half inches tall and enjoy similar habitats.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! So many captures. First the wasp building its nest and now these. I'm sorry I can't help you with the ladybug. Definitely not the regular kind to my eye. I do recall some bloggers going to a website for help with ID. As for the owl, I prefer the two pictures without the flash. Did it stay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bom, I have heard this owl over the last few years hooting at night but this is the first time I have seen him in the garden. He was not shy and moved closer to us a couple of times - show off. He did stay the night as I heard him once or twice, but have not heard or seen him since.

      Delete
  2. Yes! The Eastern screech owl family that resided in our box through the spring has been sorely missed. They were so fascinating. Glad you were able to get a good look at him. They are adorable all the while looking quite a bit menacing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat, this one seemed unafraid - maybe because he is still young and inexperienced. He did this funny thing with his head, a kind of circle motion. I wonder what it means.

      Delete
  3. It looks like an Eye-spotted Lady Beetle (Anatis mali), don’t you think:

    http://bugguide.net/node/view/117140

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right Denise!! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Patty I have never seen an owl "in the wild" type setting ... I would love to hear some hooting !!
    Have you posted pictures on that new dwarf pine of yours ?
    I would love to see what it looks like !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet Joy, no pine pictures yet. I will have to get on that, cos it is a nice looking tree.

      Delete