Thursday, July 19, 2012

At home with Phalenopsis

My garden is at a standstill right now. We have had very little rain for the past month, mostly empty promises, and I have been spending a lot of time keeping plants alive.

So instead we are going to look indoors at my one and only plant, a phalenopsis orchid. I am a renowned indoor plant killer as I have said only once before (no need to boast, right?). However this ubiquitous orchid does not seem to have listened to the warnings. It has been showering me with blooms since I received it as a gift back in March of this year.
Have a look.

Back in March this orchid had the one upright stem with blooms which did die. I cut the stem down to the next node and it began creating more flower buds almost right away. Then it put out two more stems that you can see at the bottom. The buds on the right have yet to open.




Here we are today. All but one bud is fully open. I am still in awe at how floriferous this orchid is.
And now for a few fancy shmancy photos.







10 comments:

  1. Phalenopsis has the advantage of having air roots, so they are more or less used to get their own moisture from the air. I'm guessing that makes them more accepting of erratic watering and whatever else we indoor-plant-killers are want to do to house plants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those air roots! I am already planning a new pot for this plant as the roots are climbing out of the pot.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you can try Tillandsias as well.

      Delete
  2. I try, but have little success with orchids. Yours is really pretty Patty. Your post has reminded me to water mine!
    Gosh, I hope we get some rain soon! I went to the back of the garden and found that everything has drooped since the last time I watered. So I dragged out the hose and gave everything a good soak. Have a great weekend Patty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Patty! Your reign as indoor plant killer has officially ended. And in such an amazing way, too. Those are beautiful blooms.

    I've been asked to try my hand at orchids but always assume they are too high-maintenance for me. Plus, knowing how I like to collect, I might go crazy with all the hybrids, varieties and cultivars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you should try orchids Bom and I will try tillandsias. There are all kinds of dwarf orchid plants available now, so they won't take up too much of your precious space, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Oh, sweet Patty, it is disheartening to hear the sadness in your words. I do hope you have gotten some relief since this post was written. It can be difficult and feel like you'll never get rain again, but it does fall eventually and when it does it will have never sounded so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in fact it rained a good long rain two evenings in a row earlier this week. Happily I can now focus on other things that need to be done in the garden like deadheading and removing crispy fried leaves.

      Delete
  5. I kill houseplants too but I do well with cacti because I can water them every two months when I change my Britta filter. I had one of these orchids too, and it bloomed for a year straight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it funny you said you are a renowned houseplant killer and are growing an orchid. Many think them hard to grow, but I think they are quite easy. I have had mine for at least six years and each year they bloom, sometimes even twice. I always forget about them too, and this seems to work out fine. Mine are all blooming now too!

    ReplyDelete