Thursday, January 3, 2013

Winter Stroll

Had a stroll by the water with a good friend. It is winter. There is now snow.


As you can see it was a beautiful morning. The sky was bright blue. The lake, Lake Ontario, was also blue but I did not test the waters that morning.


This is our destination. There are two psuedo lighthouses at the end of each pier. I say pseudo because they are just buildings built in the shape of lighthouses and painted like lighthouses but are not lighthouses, they are much too small.


Our path has been cleared for us by the city by small bulldozer machines. I wonder how they knew we'd be there. Kind of them, wasn't it.


A better view. The two piers are across from each other allowing tankers and other boats to get to the docking piers in Hamilton harbour.


The bridges get people across the waterway. On the right is the Skyway Bridge for those who want to get to the other side quickly. On the left is the old lift bridge for those that are risk takers - you never know when a large tanker might need to pass under this bridge. Loud horns signal the lift ascent and descent, and a wait in the car can take awhile.


Which way do you want to go today? We are heading left.


There is the last leg of the route to the lighthouse at the end. From there we turn around and head back. The usual ducks are in the water between the two piers, however there are no photos of the ducks because we were facing the sun.

 

Not the nicest of views. As I mentioned in another post, the hydro lines were placed along the beach in this area. Why oh why?


A great walk that day. Not too cold either considering there is usually a wind that comes off the lake which can make a stroll along the lake unpleasant.


The final destination! A sunny window, a hot latte and a friend to share it with.


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, the snow and the crisp sunshine makes it look so serene and clean. I am from Norway and used to lots of snow in the winter. Here in London we usually don't have snow. I must admit I don't miss the snow at all, only when I see pictures like yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene, I like the clean white snow too. All too suddenly it will go mushy and dark, which I don't like, so I hope for more snow.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos along the lake, Patty. I get to the lake quite a bit as some of my clients live along it. It is pretty all year long, but cold in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that wind. Westerlies? I never remember if westerlies are from the west or head towards the west.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful walk. I find that snow makes even a somewhat ugly route, like the subdivision across the street from us, beautiful. You are lucky to be near such a lovely body of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny that even tho' the lake is so close I tend to forget about it.

      Delete
  4. The snow looks pretty. But I'm hoping we don't get any this year. There was a dusting in December. But it didn't stick to the streets. Right now it's wet & warm. The jet stream is bringing us air from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped thinking about snow at your mention of Hawaii. Never been there, yet.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful clear day, looks gorgeous but holly smokes I can feel the cold from here. I hope it's not as cold as it looks. I think I'll just curl up in one of the chairs by the sunny window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cold day those photos were taken but now everything is melting. So much for winter in Canada.

      Delete