Friday, February 15, 2013

Birds of a Feather

Mourning Doves. They are not the most desired birds for the bird feeder, however I don't want them to starve either.








At one point I counted 10 Mourning doves in the front yard. Four of them were sitting on the roof of my car before I managed to snap this photo.






Other regulars are the Juncos. During the storm last week I managed to capture a male make numerous attempts to get to the suet feeder.


Hard to tell, but he was eyeing that feeder from every angle in between attempts.







And then yesterday I caught a glimpse of a bird I did not recognize right away at the feeder. Why are they always on the opposite side from the camera??










Close up

I wish there was more to see, sorry. Anyways it turns out this is a Carolina Wren. I have seen them occasionally in the summer but was not aware that they have been staying north more frequently than in the past. Must be our warm winters.
Other winter regulars at the feeder are the cardinal, nuthatches, and downy woodpecker.
All these photos were taken from my bedroom window where it is nice and warm.

12 comments:

  1. Ptaki nie zawsze się uda "złapać" aparatem . Najważniejsze, że Ty wiesz jakie ptaki odwiedziły Twój ogród. Pozdrawiam.
    Birds do not always manage to "catch" the camera. The most important thing that you know what birds have visited your garden. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words. I needed the reminder, thank you Giga.

      Delete
  2. Today I saw birds feed in my garden for the first time! I bought my feeders first week of January so I had almost given up seeing any birds utilise all the things I have bought. But with the warm weather it seems they have dared finding the food too. I don't have a telephoto lens so can't get them from my bedroom window, that would be way too far away. Not sure where I am going to sit without scaring them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take the birds some time to discover the feeders. And they have to feel comfortable - not too open to predators. I have gone through a few different types to discover what my birds prefer to eat out of.

      Delete
  3. Hello Patty! I see you have really nice birds in your garden :) The feeder you have there is very interesting. For the birds in my garden I usually hang halves of the coconut with some lard and seeds in it, and of course some flitch of pork fat for the tits :)
    Greetings and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut? I would never have considered that. The tube feeder is holding suet (fat and seeds and nuts) good for winter time. Hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  4. We get a lot of Carolina wrens here. :o) I like the mourning doves. They seem so amiable and soft. Plus, they're great at picking up whatever the other birds toss to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They like to hide in the evergreens. Once I had a surprise and saw a mom, dad and baby sitting on the railing of my front porch. No camera in sight.

      Delete
  5. The doves are here too and I also feed them. I think they are great photo subjects with their odd form - the tiny head on long neck on fat body. What a treat to get the Wren. They are so few in our area and not in winter either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patty, Doves are not the most colorful of birds, but I like their haunting call. I don't get many at our feeder, but there is at least a pair that visits. I have never had the good fortune of a visit by a Junco or a Carolina Wren. I do get a variety of woodpeckers, a pair of cardinal, the odd nuthatch, and lots of bluejays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, We have a lot of mature trees which attracts many of the more woodland birds. Friends of mine get the goldfinches whereas I only see them rarely and I think that is because they like a sunnier more open area.

      Delete