Friday, February 8, 2013

Let it Snow


They called it - a snow storm to pass into southern Ontario - and they were right. An  Alberta clipper, combined with moisture from a Texas low made its way into the province.
According to our weather station, an Alberta clipper is classified as a fast-moving winter storm that originates east of the Rockies and sweeps south and eastward across southern Canada and the Upper Midwest States.  It is usually weaker than most winter storms and because it moves so quickly that it doesn't tend to drop much snow.   This combination Alberta clipper and Texas low is slow moving but potent, bringing a lot of snow as it moves across Eastern Canada.


The first two photos were taken from my bedroom at 8 AM today. You can see the wind was blowing snow as the window is wet.




The front of the house at the same time in the morning.



At 5 PM I took these photos















 










As I write it is still snowing. They expect another one or two centimeters as it moves off by early evening.
Hubby and I just came in from shoveling our long drive, the front steps and the walk to the shed where the shovels are kept no longer in hibernation. It took an hour and half which isn't bad timing. One day we will hire someone take away our snow like many others in the neighborhood but our gravel drive doesn't take to machines well. Besides, I still enjoy shoveling. Except for the sore shoulders I have right how. Doesn't matter, I am inside, warm, safe and with a cup of hot rooibos tea.
Goodnight.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, this brings memories from my many years in Norway, with up to 6’ of snow and snow storms so bad we could not drive for days. Here in London it is chaos every time we get snow, one inch at the time! We are expecting snow again on Monday, possibly as much as ½ inch, it will probably lead to the usual chaos. I must admit I am very happy I will never ever have to shovel snow ever again in my life, I won’t miss it!

    Loved your pictures, looks very serene although it probably wasn’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't bad, as I said I don't mind shoveling. This morning is bright and sunny and the snow shines.

      Delete
  2. I'll take some of that snow! I don't mind shoveling now, either. It's good exercise. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis true, 'tis true. Ach, my aching arms.

      Delete
  3. I quite like shovelling snow but thats probably because it is generally only a couple of times a year. Your awful weather has been on our news here in the UK, we have more forecast tomorrow but I am hoping they are mistaken. Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not get as much snow as some parts of the USA, especially Conneticut -90cm. Hope your snowfall is light and fluffy.

      Delete
  4. Rooibos? ;~) I'm curious - you don't keep your cars in a garage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana, yes it is one of my favorite teas. It was introduced to me by a friend originally from S. Africa. And then, no, we don't have a garage. The only time I begrudge that is in winter when I have to clear the car before going anywhere.

      Delete