Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Visit to Canada Blooms

Canada Blooms is a flower and garden design show that is put on yearly in Toronto.  Last year the orchid was the flower that was in almost every one's display garden, too much so. This year it is the hellebore and the rhododendron. I don't know how this happens but it is disappointing to see the same flowers in most of the large displays.
My favorite part of the show are the juried floral designs. It never used to be so but perhaps I have seen everything there is to see in garden / landscape design (ha ha).
Anyway, see for yourself.

branches filled with sedums


lovely orchids


a gorgeous window, right next to ...



A few vegetables and herbs in planters: swiss chard, sweet potato vine, basil, violets and cabbage


Veggies planted below


An interesting booth was that of Tourism Ireland. It had four standing stones as focal points and some great  ironwork interspersed.

 






And then finally a few of my favorite juried floral displays.




I realize you have not seen any hellebores or rhododendrons yet so here are a couple of photos just to prove they were there

 

an interesting combination

It was an interesting show however I was disappointed in the lack of nurseries selling plants. Hellebores, mandevillas, orchids, dahlias tubers, lilies and air plants seemed to be the main ones. You would think that with our ability to force almost any plant these days that there would be more variety, wouldn't you? Oh, and not a native plant in sight for me.

In case you would like to see last years photos here is the link.

14 comments:

  1. Bardzo ciekawa wystawa. Warto było się tam wybrać i zobaczyć nowe pomysły. Pozdrawiam.
    A very interesting exhibition. It was worth it to go there and see new ideas. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the floral displays are really quite inventive. I love to see that kind of creativity.

      Delete
  2. I was at the show on Sunday. I haven't been in a while, so I really enjoyed my time there. I have to admit, I did buy one of the Hellebore...couldn't resist, I love them in my garden and had to have another.
    I posted about our experience there, too. You took lovely pictures.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Debbie. I will check out your blog to see what your experience was like. I almost bought a hellebore but my controlling part took over and denied me that purchase.

      Delete
  3. When the flower and garden shows arrive at the end of winter finally arrive I have to admit I am desperate for color and a little creativity. Your post really provided both, it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always wonderful to hear. I do love the creativity of some of the displays too. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I like the cool ironwork, especially the one that looked like a fierce snail. It seems like the point of these shows is to be inspirational, but I always find reality more inspirational than the temporary fantasy created by the designers. But hey, when it's cold and dreary out, we could all use a little fantasy. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fierce snail was a business card holder! Cool but weird and fanciful. There was a small sparrow sitting on the larger 'stonehenge' ; there are always birds in these large buildings flying about which is also cool but weird.

      Delete
  5. I missed both shows this year (surgery) and both were on the same weekend which was strange scheduling. My garden club split up between Plantasia and Canada Blooms. I heard Plantasia was not as nice this year either. But it looks like Canada Blooms was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of Plantasia, I am guessing it is closer to you? Despite my disappointment with these shows in general, it does make for a welcome winter refuge.

      Delete
  6. My guess is that you didn't see a lot hellebores in general but here were a lot of the Christmas rose crosses like Cinnamon Snow. Although pretty, these plants are being marketed like pansies in every Produce Junction and Trader Joes because they bloom at a young age and are easy to grow in pots. They are ideal for flowers shows because they don't have to be forced. However, they are not as pretty as other hellebores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Carolyn. You may be right. I will look up the Cinnamon Snow hellebore to see what it looks like.

      Delete
  7. Wonderfull composition, best regard from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just caught up with blogging and I think that I will really like your site..... I am glad to hear that my reaction to Canada Blooms is not unique.....I go because I need the smells and sights, the promise of spring.....not really for the gardens themselves. There is inspiration for what I can do in the garden but I have too often been disappointed by displays which show fall blooming plants alongside spring bulbs. Nonetheless, I do return home eager to have the orchestra rise forth from the ground and harmonize in glorious chorus....let the symphony that is spring....begin

    ReplyDelete