Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Snowdrop Parade

There has been an exuberant barrage of posts on the snowdrop that have cropped up lately. Spring is reaching our gardens -finally- and we happy gardeners can't wait to register the first blooms of spring where we live. 

While I do not love the snowdrop like some, I am thrilled to see it in the garden. They sort of pop up when you are not looking. Aha, there they are! My garden is not exempt from these spring beauties and I have come to realize that I have not one, but two types of snowdrops. What types they are I have no idea; I expect my readers to tell me what I have.

So here they are, my contribution to the spring snowdrop parade.

For lack of... Snowdrop #1

# 1

Snowdrop # 2

many petals of # 2


13 comments:

  1. They are beautiful! I always wait for snowdrops, because they're unquestionable sign of spring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the first sign of spring in my garden. I did not realize Ms. Dewberry that I had as many as I do.

      Delete
  2. Piękne zwiastyny wiosny. Nie znałam przebiśniegów o tylu płatkach, jak na ostatnim zdjeciu. Pozdrawiam.
    Beautiful spring flowers. I did not know about the many snowdrops flakes, like the last picture. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giga, Yes it is a bit unusual isn't it. They seem to multiply fairly quickly.

      Delete
  3. Snowdrop #2 looks very special. I can't imagine spring without snowdrops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, Nothing else is in bloom yet. Next I think will be the scilla in blue.

      Delete
  4. What a great way to welcome in Spring. They are such hardy plants and yet look so delicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really nice to see a flowering plant at this time of year. It does lift the spirits on the drearier days.

      Delete
  5. I'm new to snowdrops this year and really like your flower with all the petals. Maybe people are so crazy for them because they're the first thing that blooms,especially in northern climates where your winters are so long. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is very long this year, sigh. Thanks for the visit Tammy.

      Delete
  6. Wow! You have snowdrops. I just have snow and no "drops". I hope it warms up by the weekend. I am so tired of winter! That you have snowdrops just south of me is a hopeful sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After last nights snowfall -just another centimeter or so- I don't know when spring will arrive, despite today's date. Happy Spring Jennifer.

      Delete
  7. Snowdrop one is common snowdrop, Galanthus nivalis. Snowdrop two is double common snowdrop, G. n. 'Flore Pleno'.

    ReplyDelete