Saturday, April 13, 2013

Feeding the Birds

I must admit my creativity for this blog is at a low right now. We just keep getting cold, wet, weather thrown at us and anything that has attempted to sprout green shoots has halted. So, since there are no plants to talk about, I think a few bird photos is in order. It will be thrilling.

Vivid proof of the Carolina Wren! 





The above photo is not the clearest but I thought it was a cute/nice/obvious wren photo. Plus there are TWO of them - how sweet is that?

No, you are not seeing double. The photos may look alike but in the one below it is a white nuthatch on the feeder and a male Junco eying him with envy. There is peanut butter in the suet and everyone wants some.



An American Tree Sparrow - not one I see often, but they are regulars to the garden.


It was a wet and stormy day. This guy was hungry and made a few attempts at the suet feeder since the seed in the tray was wet and snow covered.



Now this woodpecker is the Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. From the back it looks like a Hairy or even Downy woodpecker and so it may be that for years it has come to my garden and I never knew about it, or not. This one moved around so much it was hard to capture him, but I did.







And just because... a final photo of the Carolina Wren singing his little heart out.


Thank goodness for the birds this winter. They filled my heart with joy to see them at the feeder trying to survive a difficult season. My binoculars and camera were never so close at hand before!

8 comments:

  1. Przykro mi, ze u ciebie jest jeszcze śnieg, a ptaki Ci to wynagrodziły. Sporo miałaś ich w ogrodzie. Pozdrawiam.
    I'm sorry that you are still in the snow, and the birds you are compensated by. A lot of you had them in the garden. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get a good variety of birds even in the winter. I think part of the reason is we have a lot of conifers and they protect the birds from the bad weather.

      Delete
  2. Spring finaly arrived here yesterday. Suddenly everyting is growing and moving and chirping. But I read that we have to keep feeding the birds because there is not enough food for the young birds due to the long cold winter. I hope you will also get some nice warm weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is supposed to get to 15C but then drop down again to about 5C in a day or two. I hesitate to do too much clean up in the gardens as we might get more snow or a very cold snap.

      Delete
  3. I know just how you feel about creativity and posting right now. I have been feeling the same. Our weather is like your weather and not much is yet in bloom. I saw a Carolina Wren yesterday and was surprised. I did not have the camera ready though since I took down the feeders for spring. It was ground feeding and that is not where I can take its picture anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a walk through my woodsy garden and not even a sprout of trillium has poked through the earth. My garden journal tells me they are usually mostly up by now. That means another week or two of birdwatching:)

      Delete
  4. You get some very cute little visitors. I hope you have the chance to visit Seattle soon. Vancouver BC isn't far away. And then there is Portland with its amazing Japanese & Chinese gardens. It's cold & wet here too. But not as cold as there, a high of 12C today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit the west coast. I have a sister in Calgary so the coast is a lot closer from there....

      Delete