Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Happy Phlox stolonifera


Phlox stolonifera is one of my favorite phlox. It is a great ground cover in light to medium shade, that creeps slowly outwards, creating a fairly dense mat that will cover anything unsightly in its path. OK maybe not anything, it is not aggressive, but if it could ultimately replace my lawn I would not complain one bit.



Look at its flower buds. Pointed like tiny ballerina slippers. See how they are swirled shut, waiting for the right conditions to unfurl.





Then, pop, they are open. You never see it happen, it is magic. The wondrous magic of nature.
Nature and science, or the science of nature. Some would say it is physics that describes the motion of the tightly bound petals opening like an unwound umbrella.


Then there are the leaves. A mid green in pairs, like hands raised to the sky. Hundreds of tiny hands. Some hold a flower stalk a few inches above. Why some and not the others, I do not know. It probably has something to do with chemicals. There's that science again.


Here is what it looks likes when phlox covers the earth like a carpet. Happy phlox under a black walnut tree. Spread little phloxes, spread.

15 comments:

  1. Mogłbym mieć taki sliczny dywan w ogródku. Pozdrawiam.
    I would be so cute rug in the garden. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would Giga, I would love to have it carpet the ground.

      Delete
  2. Patty girl this is the same phlox I have edging my hellebore bed ! .. it certainly is tough and pretty though too. It acts like a living mulch and holds the soil in nicely .. I like it a lot : )
    Hey girl .. what did you get from Canning ? I am so curious!
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pretty and it looks nice too even when not in flower.

      Delete
  3. It is a pretty plant and one tough cookie living under the Black Walnut. I love the soft blue color too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue is probably closer to an iridescent light purple. In some lights it glows.

      Delete
  4. It sure is a beautiful plant. I've been think of trying to grow some on a steep slope on the side of my house. Maybe I will do so very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should work well on a slope and worth trying out. Hmm, cascading ballerina slippers.

      Delete
  5. Very elegant flowers Patty. I've never seen these before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All phlox are nice (and native to north america). They come in short and tall, and usually pink, purples, white and some combination of those.

      Delete
  6. I love that phlox! I don't think I've seen it. It reminds me of the Woodland phlox I grow.

    I must have said something on my post, maybe about not seeing very many bees and butterflies yet. They just have not been bountiful yet this season. Once the season progresses, there should be lots of them like there has been the last number of years. A neighbor boy recently pointed out that soon, there will be lots more flowers, and the bees will come. He said, "Bees love Sue's garden."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, yes you did make that comment. Every time I see what you have been up to in the garden there are always interesting changes!

      Delete
  7. These are so pretty! I've heard their tough, too. I really should add some to my garden. Love the comparison of the buds to ballet slippers. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are tough plants. Nothing seems to bother them, not even mildew. I have walked across them too and they stand up pretty well.

      Delete
  8. I haven't got any phlox in my garden, not really sure why, except that I can't have everything in my tiny garden! Yours look lovely, I have added them to my wish list now :-)

    ReplyDelete