Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mother Nature's Garden


You know how you read books that tell you about woodland plants, what grows well together, and shows photos of said woodland plants sitting pretty in the garden together?  One of the things I was always curious about was whether or not you would find those woodland plants together in a natural or untouched environment.
Then on Monday I was in a natural woodland and lo and behold what they say is true.

 
I know it is hard to tell what you are looking at but there are trilliums to the left and in behind, wild geranium in front, and false solomon's seal scattered about. Mother Nature likes a chaotic garden from what I can tell.



That is, until she doesn't.
Trilliums abound on both sides of the path.


Trilliums and  mayapple.

Trillium grandiflorum




Trillium erectum

It is definitely the season for trillium.
But that is not all I saw.

Geranium maculatum
Mayapple behind the trilliums, false solomon seal in front
Sensitive fern

Starry Solomon seal ?
??
And finally by the forest edge


Violets in blue, white and yellow.

Perhaps my attempts at recreating Mother Nature's garden is not so far from the reality after all. I have many similar plants co-existing, weeds and grass taking up valuable space, leaf litter, and the occasional swath of trillium but in a much smaller footprint. I am on the right track.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! So natural and woody views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard to believe I have never visited this area to see the trilliums before.

      Delete
  2. Mother Nature is the best designer there is. So many trilliums! I can’t believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful Denise.I also saw meadow rue (Thalictrum) but never got a good photo as the plants were still small.

      Delete
  3. So beautiful! I've never seen that many trilliums together before. What a peaceful wood. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1000's at least. The photos can't do it justice.

      Delete
  4. Byłaś w cudownym miejscu. Tyle pięknych kwiatów tam rosło. Pozdrawiam.
    You were in a wonderful place. So many beautiful flowers growing there. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giga, I look forward to visiting again next spring.

      Delete
  5. I too was surprised with all the Trillium. It looks planted even though it is natural. I love these natural scapes. I was at Winterthur today and they had many natural gardens like that. It really is a paradise there with all the native plantings. I took photos more of the formal areas, but Carolyn (Carolyn's Shade Gardens) did photograph many of the native plants. I did get a lot of shots of native azalea though. They were everywhere. In our area the azalea are never happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see the photos of the azaleas. I have a thing for that family, and do my best at growing them.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos :-)
    And all the plants you found goes very well together. I have a small woodland area in my garden, but I am not sure Mother nature would pack together what I have planted, a bit too many different plants from too many continents I think! The effect is quite good though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have seen of your garden Helen, she would certainly approve.

      Delete
  7. Hi Patty, The drifts of wild flowers are quite beautiful. I have noticed some trilliums on a hillside near here and must get back there to see if I can get a few pictures. I think they are such elegant flowers. I have never noticed geraniums before and will have to keep my eyes better pealed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The geraniums were just starting when I was there one week ago. They are now blooming in my garden.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for your comment. Your Trillium grandiflorum looks very much like out Trillium ovatum & we have starry flase Solomon's seal too. I hadn't seen Heronswood in at least 10 years. It was more impressive then, more full of plants, particularly in the woodland garden, where I didn't get any good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen that many Triliums or the other plants you showed all in one place before! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete