Saturday, June 8, 2013

Late Spring in the Patio Garden

Since the renovation of the backyard two summers ago, I planted the patio garden last year. It is a small eye lid shaped garden bed that follows the contour of the patio which you may recall my hubby created, an ellipse shape using Maxwell's Method (if you want to see it again go here).
I am quite happy with this bed. The plants are filling in nicely and seem to work well together so far. Here is an update:


The full view - the eye lid bed is behind and to the right of the patio chairs.


What you can see is spiderwort, wild columbine, jacob's ladder, bleeding heart, boltonia, and a hint of chamomile.


 

I am particularly proud that the Jacob's Ladder (bottom right) did so well this year. Last summer the rabbits kept eating it.

My few rhodos are out now in full bloom.




A bit bright photo of the azalea Lemon Lights, so here is a close up with a truer colour.


Finally I will show you my once prized rhodo Ken Janeck. I have pulled this dwarf rhododendron out of the ground twice now in an attempt to figure out why it is dying.


This plant is about half its original size and it keeps dying bit by bit. I have chopped off sections of the root ball to no avail. I think it either too root bound (the center is extremely dense) or there is a borer perhaps. 

Flowers from one week ago

Flower colour today

I do not know why it is not dead, it has been out of the ground for two weeks now.

That is a late spring update of the back yard. Next post will be about the work I have given myself to accomplish this spring. Right now I am 70 % done.

15 comments:

  1. I love the round patio and eyelid garden -- you created beautiful tension between the perfect symmetry of shape and the irregularity of materials with the stones. It works so well, and I like the repeated curves.

    Except for the poor diminishing rhododendron, all the plants are filling in well. The columbines are such a sweet touch. Nice spot for a bit of sitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurrie for the compliment. There are a few other plants in that bed that you can not see, including a dwarf variegated white pine. The columbines are exuberant I admit. Really they are taking up space for the time being as I have sooo many of them.

      Delete
  2. If it's not dead after being out of the ground, maybe it needed better drainage and more air circulation. Your patio garden really looks great! Your azaleas are so pretty. I love that lemony color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of adding another azalea or two too! They sure give you wow power in the spring as they are quite brightly colored shrubs. I believe my azalea is one of the last to bloom in the neighborhood!

      Delete
  3. Your new patio looks nice Patty! Too bad about the rhodo that fails to flourish. I wish I knew more about them and could make some helpful suggestion. I love the yellow azalea and am determined to try to grow a azalea myself next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rhododendron is a disappointment. All the reason to find a replacement for it. I am sure you will find a lovely azalea to grow in your fantastic garden.

      Delete
  4. I love this patio! I'd like to sit there and drink a cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever you are in Burlington Ontario please let me know. I make a great cup of china tea.

      Delete
  5. Patty girl I love your planting ! .. my beds are becoming so mature they need to be "thinned" out a bit now ..
    That rhodo is a mystery isn't it ? .. I have a feeling if you wash all of the dirt out and truly see what condition the root "ball" is in, you will be able to sort this fellow out .. it is so pretty with the paler flowers .. I would like a small rhodo in white (any suggestions are appreciated!) .. I am glad my posts on mail order companies helped .. Chris at Canning is a gem and you can't beat the size of her plants .. same or better as if nursery bought.
    I have a load of work to get done still .. I should have done some today but I wasn't up to it .. now it nags at me.
    You know how that is eh ? haha
    So .. wash that root ball and lets have a look ? LOL
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. That rhodo went out in the garbage yesterday. I guess I was too impatient. It is a good suggestion Joy and I will remember it for the next rhodo problem. And, you have a lot of planting to do! Let us know of your success soon.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Denise, your sympathy is gratefully accepted.

      Delete
  7. I really like your patio and the way the plants will surround it. It is like the way the woods appear to surround the rest of the garden. One thing I noticed you did very important, was the paving along the house. It is useful for so many reasons and many don't do it here or even notice it when it is done. I would like Lemon Lights here, but azalea is a iffy plant in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how well the plantings have blended to give you such great color and contrast. They also work so beautifully with the architectural elements; what a great outcome for your project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it Patty! Looks like a wonderful spot to relax, read a book or have a cup of warm drink. You must spend a lot of time there.

    ReplyDelete