Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Work, work, work

This spring was the year to accomplish some major plantings in the garden. Our new next door neighbour was finally established and put up an agreed upon fence between us (thank goodness as they have dogs and cats). Boundaries are now established which allow us to better decide how we want to increase some privacy between the two houses.
Also, there were plants I wanted and needed to add to the gardens. I joined the North America Native Plant Society in Ontario and bought about 40 plants from them including some shrubs and a tree. I ordered from Cannings Perennials some other hard to find plants and finally had no choice (yah, that's it) but to support the local plant sale at the botanical gardens. All in all I think I had 60 plants to find homes for.






That is just some of what needed to be planted. I managed to plant the shrubs of Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) and a Viburnum (V. lentago) right away, as well as, my Mountain Maple tree which is an understory tree preferring the shade canopy of other trees -in this case black walnut.
Most of the plants above are now planted. A few are very small and need a bit more time to bulk up before I plant them. The wild ginger is waiting for me to put out some new soil by the stone wall before it has a home.


This is the second shipment of soil and mulch. 2 cubic yards of soil and 1 cubic yard of mulch. Today there are 3 bags of mulch and about 9 bags of soil left to spread.


Then I bought the shrubs above - 3 Snowberry and a spreading yew. The snowberry are planted but not the yew, I think I am changing my mind about its location.

Anyway that is the recap. Once I take some more photos of the finished plantings I will fill you in on some details. I am glad to see the end in sight as other parts of the garden are starting to complain....

15 comments:

  1. Masz już wyjaśnioną sprawę z sąsiadką, więc wprowadzasz zmiany w ogrodzie i sporo masz pracy. Życzę wspaniałych efektów. Pozdrawiam.
    You have already explained the case with a neighbor, so make changes in the garden and have a lot of work. I wish you great results. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a lot of work so far but the weather has remained on the cool side making it fairly comfortable to work in.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Wild Ginger and Viburnum--two of my favorites! Those Snowberry shrubs have a lovely shape. I'll look forward to more photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried Snowberry before, but they have nice leaves and later in fall white berries.

      Delete
  3. Hi Patty
    That sure is a lot of work to be done on your garden! But there is not a single plant on your list that you won't love. Can't wait how it all looks when planted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Astrid,I will post some photos a bit later when I get further along and have something worthy of seeing.

      Delete
  4. Are cats in Canada deterred by fences? Here they never are. I envy you Patty; 60 new plants. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats: :) No they aren't.
      Plants: I think it was a temporary form of dementia Denise.

      Delete
  5. Patty girl you have been busy !
    I really like your plant/shrub/tree choices too !
    The Indian Pinks are VERY slow to show up in the Spring .. I have learned that after a couple of years. But I have been able to bring them through our winters so I am looking forward to that pop of colour they provide with the red and yellow.
    I picked up 7 big bags of black mulch that are still in the back of my KIA ... hopefully tomorrow or on the weekend I will finally get that laid down .. I am still unsure about my plant swapping from yesterday .. so I may have to rethink that one .. plants should have little training wheels on them don't you think ? LOL
    Joy
    PS .. I found evidence of a cat that has been in my garden .. argh !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is looking good for unloading that KIA. Get going Girl!

      Delete
  6. Oh, the work ahead! My you are on a mission it looks like. With the native plants, at least the work will subside once your plants are established. That is a garden I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of work, but when you have a plan...Most of my plans take a long long time to finalize (you probably don't have that luxury in your field) and sometimes just as long to complete :)

      Delete
  7. How exciting but what a ton of work! When I have big projects like yours I always tend to tweak my plan mid-dig. It will be great to see the end result. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am close to the end of my plan. However I keep adding things to it. Today I transplanted a hemlock (smallish)and a dogwood (sapling) with some help of course.

      Delete