Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Visit to Astrid's Garden


A couple of weekends ago I had the opportunity to meet Astrid, a fellow blogger in Burlington, and see her garden. How nice it was to meet a fellow gardener, or as one of Astrid's children said, a virtual friend.
My visit to Astrid's garden was on the last day of a garden tour, one of two she was involved in this summer. The day was a warm one and the sun was quite bright. Shall we have a look around?

It was obvious from the start that Astrid likes hostas and sedums




She has some nice trees in the garden, like this weeping Norway Spruce






a Pin Oak and Blue Spruce


a Black Locust at the end fronted by a variegated dogwood and some fantastic grass that waved around with the slight breeze we had.





and a Serviceberry loaded with fruit.


There were a few rose bushes like these on this great obelisk





and in among the daisies and feverfew (or is it chamomile?)





Astrid has a superb specimen of Jackmanii clematis



bordered by eye popping colour - fantastic!





And by the front door, a large and lush climbing hydrangea.


I still owe Astrid a tour in my garden, and I will soon once this rain stops. Any mis-labeled plants in the photos are my mistakes. Thanks again Astrid.
Please visit Astrid's garden at http://astridsgardendesign.blogspot.ca/

20 comments:

  1. Hello Patty
    Thank you so much for featuring my garden as your post! It was great meeting you a few weeks ago. It's also so interesting to see how you have photographed the garden. You've captured some interesting angles. Let me know when I can come see your place!
    Astrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Astrid, you are welcome. I will contact you soon :)

      Delete
  2. There is a Serviceberry in the garden next to ours. The branches hang over the wall in our garden and all the birds love the berries. It is so funny to see them hanging upside down to eat the berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astrid's tree was beautiful. I am glad to hear the birds are getting your neighbours berries. If you can try a few, they can be made into jam.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Diana, it is a beauty. I try various non purple ones that just don't seem to have the same vigor. Maybe I need to change colours.

      Delete
  4. Astrid's garden is beautiful and I love the ornaments .. especially the fish ... I have a thing for fish on a dry stream bed : ) ... lovely plants and a beautiful garden to explore !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has other ornaments which I guess you saw on her blog. I am not much of an ornament person but I liked her fish.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful garden! I really like the borders by the Jackmani clematis. I have some redesigning to do this fall and can feel the inspiration bubbling. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Casa, yes I liked it too. The orange is maltese cross and I think the yellow are loosestrife.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Astrid’s garden as I read her blog, it looks fantastic, how lovely you got to meet a fellow blogger! I have yet to meet anyone I blog with but it would be great to actually meet up in real life. Virtual friends are great, real life friends even better :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice and I would love to meet more of my fellow bloggers. I am considering that trip to Italy next June with other garden bloggers.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful garden as well as ornaments.....thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen Astrid's blog and never realized she was so close to me too. She has a lovely garden and it was nice you got to visit for real. I too like how you captured her garden. Someday we all have to meet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to meet you Donna. Perhaps one day we will figure out the right place and time.

      Delete
  10. How nice that you got to meet Astrid! I have seen Astrid's garden many times on her blog, but don't remember seeing the pretty obelisk or the clematis covered arbor both very pretty features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the thing Astrid commented on was how I took photos from different angles than she normally does. She got to see her garden with a different perspective.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the tour of Astrid's garden. I'm rather envious of her climbing hydrangea - I'm still waiting for mine to flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi b-a-g, yes her hydrangea is a beauty. I am glad you enjoyed the tour.

      Delete