Thursday, September 19, 2013

September Afternoon

Yesterday was a lovely late afternoon; you know how it is when the sun is low in the sky casting a warm glow all around. Enough time and light to take a few photos of the last blooms of September.
We have had a cooler that normal summer (which is alright with me), but means that the last fall blooms will not live as long as in warmer days. Nights are cool to 8-11 centigrade.

Helenium hybrid by local grower

Helenium 'Ruby Tuesday"

H. "Ruby Tuesday"
This is the time of year for the heleniums, helianthus and heliopsis. Mostly shades of yellow but also copper, bronze, orange and red. Perhaps nature's way of enhancing that sunny warm glow.

Helianthus "Lemon Queen" a natural hybrid 


Lemon Queen gets to about 6 feet tall. Some drier years it doesn't make it that tall but this was a good year. The blooms below are being pollinated  by the Bombus bimaculatus, or Two-spotted Bumble Bee, a native as far as I can tell.




Finished flowering a week or so ago, the cup plant flower heads are still pretty interesting to look at.
The latin name is Silphium perfoliatum, perfoliatum meaning 'through the leaf'. The opposite leaves are large and cup the stem which intended or not creates a well or cup to catch rainwater.



Coneflowers are probably in everyone's garden at some time or another. Here is a photo of mine in the wilder back area.


The photo is not complete as it is missing the green headed coneflowers and coreopsis. Also it was taken a couple of weeks ago before everybody toppled over. I keep planting new additions close to the originals to try to keep everyone upright as long as possible. All the coneflowers are the species and self seed, yay!

Green headed coneflower, Rudbeckia laciniata
 The Green headed coneflower is quite stately and is more yellow headed than green in my garden. It is presently over 6 feet high and needs to be staked. It too is making babies for me this year.

I will leave you with some asters and that bumblebee Bombus bimaculatus. The bumblebees were everywhere. I was finding 3 and 4 on individual plants. They too must like the warm glow of a late September afternoon.

Aster novi-belgii by the front door






12 comments:

  1. Those asters are just beautiful! I love the way they cascade over the railing. Bunnies munched my heliopsis to the ground almost so I just love your helianthus. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, They are in a tight spot and lean out to catch more sun. Not the best conditions but it does look lovely.

      Delete
  2. Asters are still doing well here too. Your garden photos look beautiful, the garden is soft and romantic looking. Did I read right that you had a cooler than normal summer? It has cooled down as of late (today 78° yesterday 83°), but we did have a day this past week in the 90's. It is not record breaking like last year, but it was not cool here at all. The central air was going non-stop and it it is set at 76°. I must move north I think. We have been dry too, but today it actually has been a gentle steady rain. I have not seen one of those in quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, usually we have a couple of weeks in the mid to high 30's or in Fahrenheit 86- 95. But most of the summer was around 77 and not much higher - cooler even. All good with me, I prefer it this way.

      Delete
  3. Love the bumbles on the Asters along the hand railing! That's a sweet touch. The Cup Plants are a favorite--I wish I had a good spot for them. And your Helenium 'Ruby Tuesday' -- wow! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! that Ruby Tuesday! Love the colour. Far as I can tell the cup plants mostly need sun, and a bit of room.

      Delete
  4. Loved your asters, I haven't got any of them right now and I miss having them in my garden. I bought two heleniums last autumn, Moerheim Beauty and Ruby Tuesday, only Moerheim Beauty came up this year so not sure what happened to Ruby Tuesday, it looked so lovely in the photos from where I bought it, would have loved to have it right now. It was probably too shady where I planted them both, Moerheim Beauty got very tall and lanky and needed a lot of support. I have very little full sun area in my garden, most of it has only sun for a small part of the day so there are many plants that don't do that well in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene, the heleniums do need a fair bit of sun to do well. I am counting my lucky stars as the rabbits don't seem interested in them!

      Delete
  5. Your garden is looking very lovely for fall. We have had a very cold September with most nights in the 40s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few other plants in flower right now which I may include in my next post. My best time of year in the garden is spring and early summer.

      Delete
  6. I love the helianthus and asters...and I can't believe you still have coneflowers blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helenium are a late summer favourite of mine. I only have a few plants but would love more. The asters look so pretty poking through the railing. I had a number of asters, but the disappeared. I must get some replacements.
    I am wondering what the name is of the pink rose a couple of posts back? I always love this style of apple-blossom-like flowers.

    ReplyDelete