Thursday, October 10, 2013

Animalia


Cute, yes?
Every year at this time I catch a glimpse of a chipmunk rummaging around in the yew hedge. The red berries (actually arils) of the yew are a tasty treat and few if any get left behind.

This fella wades his way through the layers of hedge searching out the berries and then stuffing them into his mouth. Branches quiver and I know he is further down moving around. Then he pops out of some opening and moves along the top of the hedge like walking on water.

When he is not so cute



What all the rummaging about is for I haven't a clue. Maybe he just wants to rearrange the mulch. Nope, no nuts under there.

Early this spring I realized I needed a bird bath for the back yard. I looked at many bird baths before  deciding to recycle and reuse a frying pan that was to go in the garbage. It is a non stick surface pan that warped early in its use and eventually was no use at all. Not a beautiful pan either. But put a large stone at the bottom as a perch and fill it with water and the birds will come. Although not right away.

Grey Catbird

seems to have decided the pan will do for a dip

Young Robin was eyeing the bath and bather




It was close. He checked out that fry pan from all angles but never went in for a dip or a drink.



20 comments:

  1. Śliczne zwierzątko z pręgą na grzbiecie. Ptaszkom chyba się spodobało poidełko z patelni :)
    Cute pet from the stripe on the back. I think the birds liked drinking fountain with a frying pan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giga, yes he is cute and small, a kind of squirrel. One day I will get a 'real' bird bath.

      Delete
  2. That chipmunk may be naughty but he is very cute. Maybe he was looking for insects or seeds in the soil? That frying pan looks like it was made to be a birdbath. A contemporary birdbath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband grimaces every time he looks at the bird bath. It works though :)

      Delete
  3. What a clever solution! I have a chipmunk, too, and just love how cute he is. I haven't seen him in a few months but have seen evidence of him. I think he's foraging through all that mulch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are somewhat cautious creatures I think. I only saw my chipmunks after living in this home for 6 or so years. It me a while to realize they lived in the stone wall !

      Delete
  4. Hi Patty Lovely and colourful to see. We don't have chipmunks or cat birds in the UK so it's nice to see them in your part of the world. Thank you for sharing. I will call again. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment. How are things in your part of Ontario? Have the ice floes started forming yet? I wish we had chipmunks here in the city. I've only seen them up in the mountains. As far as cute rodents go, we just have the transplanted eastern gray squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no ice floes yet Jordan, must be climate change :) We have the grey squirrels and black ones too. Not to mention red squirrels which I like the best of the three.

      Delete
  6. Hi Patty
    We have some chipmunks too! Maybe I tolerate them better than squirrels because of all those loveable old cartoons: Alvin and the Chipmunks, Chip and Dale…. The frying pan is a great bird bath - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it they may come, was my motto. It worked too. Some birds stay away from it but it does get used.

      Delete
  7. How cute Patty...love the repurposed pan. I love chippies, but we rarely seem them in this garden. Too many predator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, Sorry to hear about the predators. Are they big and scary?

      Delete
  8. Animals and birds can be so resourseful- I love the way the birds have used the frying pan handle as a perch.
    I haven't seem any chipmunks this year. It is a mystery-usually we have 4 or 5 running around the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animals can be so interesting to watch. Sometimes it is difficult to believe that they aren't just like us.

      Delete
  9. Very funny and cute set of photos of the robin, a cautious bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. It was close but no cigar (as they say)

      Delete
  10. So cute! I love the idea of using a frying pan for a birdbath...and the birds seem to like the handle as much as the water. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the chipmunk; I wish we had them in the UK instead of the awful grey squirrel which eats all my walnuts and steals the bird' food.
    Lovely idea for a bird bath.
    Chloris

    ReplyDelete