Monday, October 21, 2013

October's Last Flowers


Honey suckle, Lonicera sempervirens.
One of two last flowers in my garden for the year, if you don't count a couple of pots of mums which I don't.
The weather is still quite nice for October; cooler temperatures of course, a bit wetter too, but the sun does shine most days of the week and that is fantastic.


Love the orange red yellow hues all in one flower.

The second flower is from my witch hazel, Hamamelis virginiana.
Pretty, delicate, threads of gold.


Strangely, seeing the witch hazel in flower at this time is always a surprise. Their existence is fleeting so I guess I should consider myself lucky to see the blooms at all.


October

Crispy air and azure skies,
High above, a white cloud flies,
Bright as newly fallen snow.
Oh the joy to those who know October!

Colors bright on bush and tree.
Over the weedy swamp, we see
A veil of purple and brown and gold.
Thy beauty words have never told. October!

Scolding sparrows on the lawn,
Rabbits frisking home at dawn,
Pheasants midst the sheaves of grain,
All in harmony acclaim, October!

Brown earth freshly turned by plow,
Apples shine on bended bough,
Bins o'erflowed with oats and wheat,
And satisfaction reigns complete. October!

Radiant joy is everywhere.
Spirits in tune to the spicy air,
Thrill in the glory of each day.
Life's worth living when we say, October!


16 comments:

  1. The witch hazel in my front garden flowers in February. At the moment it has beautiful nuts. When does the Hamamelis virginiana get nuts? Your Honeysuckle flower is beautiful. I have not one flower in my garden at the moment :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I don't think I have ever seen nuts on my witch hazel. Maybe it is still too young. I will make sure I look next time.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised to see witch hazel blooming. I thought they only bloomed in the winter. My honeysuckle barely bloomed this year since I had it imprisoned in a pot. I'm hoping it blooms more next year. It's the same color as yours. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, You may be more familiar with L. vernalis in your area which does bloom February-March. Get that beauty out of its pot next spring so you can enjoy the blooms. They don't seem to need a ton of sunshine so maybe along the side of the house will do.

      Delete
  3. Hello Patty girl !
    Yes .. I keep eyeing the weather to see when it would coax me out to do those last chores I keep putting off (some of my day lily have gone to seed heads as well and that just saps the plant's strength .. guilty!)
    I love your honeysuckle and what a surprise to see the witch hazel blooming! .. must love the weather and it is rewarding you : )
    This poem is totally October ... I have been too occupied with renos to enjoy it this year .. kind of sad and winter is on it's way .. darn!
    Well fingers crossed we both get some chores done before the snow flies right ? LOL
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy. I will be thinking of you when I am standing in the cold in the garden -when I eventually get out there. At least you should not have to feel so guilty when the temperature plummets soon. Work on that reno !! I look forward to seeing what you have done.

      Delete
  4. October is the best time of the year, and the poem captures that beautifully. I love that you still have bright red pops of trumpet honeysuckle! Mine gave up a long time ago. Happy autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laurrie. Happy Autumn to you too.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely earthy poem Patty. Really sums up October. Your witch hazel is a colourful sparkler of yellow.
    Enjoy the October sunshine inbetween the rain showers. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. I hope your autumn has been a nice one so far.

      Delete
  6. Hi Patty, This mild fall has been wonderful, hasn't it? I have a few roses, some nasturtiums, hydrangea flowers and not much else now. I would love to have a witch hazel. Winters are so long and having something that flowers when nothing else does would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know what you mean Jennifer. I think I need to plant something that turns red or orange in my backyard, it is all green and a bit of yellow.

      Delete
  7. Hi Patty
    The vine is lovely and I've always admired Witch Hazel. The 3 things that go orange/red in my garden are Burning Bush, Serviceberry and Viburnum as well as the Pin Oak. Maybe try a few of those? I was cutting down the front garden this morning and already it was very cold, damp and windy. It seems as if it was just yesterday that it was so sizzling hot and humid……time flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Astrid, thanks for those suggestions. I have some tidying to do too but the weather is keeping me out of the garden. It has been quite windy lately.

      Delete
  8. U mnie niestety już smutno w ogrodzie, a u Ciebie kwitnie nawet oczar. Pozdrawiam.
    For me, unfortunately sad in the garden, au you even witch hazel blooms. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post gives me hope as I have that honeysuckle but I thought it was too late for it to flower. Wishing it looks as spectacular as yours.

    ReplyDelete