Friday, November 15, 2013

On the Water

Lake Ontario was a busy place this afternoon. I was out for a quick stroll around the neighborhood and stopped by the park at the lake, which you may now consider a familiar sight.
The sun was out for some of the time but clouds were rolling in and the wind was picking up. What wind we have been having the last four or five days!! Can't rake up the leaves (not that I want to) as they are continuously blown around. Today the wind was quieter and the sun shone on and off.

The first 'boat' I noticed was this tanker heading to the piers in Hamilton. Looks small in this photo but it was long, very long.


Then I saw this boat. I have no idea what type of vehicle it is. It was far back. I had to zoom quite a bit to just get this hazy photo.


Then, boat number three, a tug I think.


The tug had left the docks and was crossing paths with the tanker.

Oof, made it!  
I know - what am I doing taking photos of boats for my blog? It was simply a matter of just being there. Knowing that there must be avid boaters reading this post I will now reassure you that the tanker was getting closer to the docks at Hamilton.

Steel City Hamilton in the background
But wait, that's not all on the water today!

Mallards

Gulls and two swans back and right
 And when you try to get too close,

Yes gulls fly

Ducks fly too
Not the most exciting post, I apologize. There is not much left to say about the garden. The garden is almost to bed and all but the beech leaves are down on the ground.

If you want a change of pace, you can check out my blog  womenandthegarden.blogspot.ca for true stories of women who have made contributions to garden history.

11 comments:

  1. That looks a lot like Puget Sound here in Washington. You have no mountains in the distance, but we often can't see ours because of the clouds. I've been two weeks in the new house, have made a good start on the new garden, but still have no cable for tv or internet. Thanks for your comment last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jordan, you are right there are no mountains. The view across the lake is pretty much all water. It is a pretty big lake. I look forward in seeing what you do in the new garden next spring!

      Delete
  2. Do you think it's better not to rake up the leaves? Or is it just not your favourite task?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, raking is not my favorite task, especially with the amount of leaves we get. Some areas of the garden I let them stay over winter and do a partial cleanup in spring, leaving some to decompose naturally. What about you?

      Delete
    2. I like raking. But I have a very small garden.

      Delete
  3. How fun to see that part of your neighborhood, Patty! No, I don't think it's a boring post at all. I love images of the Great Lakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the lake from your side. I usually see it from my side at Oswego or feel the wrath of the lake effect snow all winter as it howls off the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, the lake is a living body itself, isn't it? I hope you are inside or at least well protected when that howling wind and snow come by.

      Delete
  5. The Burlington waterfront is truly lovely Patty - glad you had a chance to enjoy it on a sunny, non-windy day. Last evening's wind was atrocious! Glad there was no snow along with it although today I got a mix of ice pellets and hail. Winter's coming :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny-odd that I don't get down to the lake as often as I thought I would. It is not that far away from where I live, and yet. Still lots of wind !! I did not get ice pellets, thank goodness.

      Delete