Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Subtle Colour Changes

Colour change is starting in my garden on Pomona Ave. For the most part it is subtle.  Recently I came to realize my garden colour in fall is mainly greens and yellows. I have no sugar maples with startling colour variations in red and orange, something I plan on rectifying next spring. So let's take a looks at what is going on.

The birches are now more golden than the yellow they were just a few days ago. The trees are also dropping leaves quickly and I took many useless photos trying to capture falling leaves. In this one you can see a single leaf hovering mid air between the left most trunks.
Below, a Junco is enjoying a sit down.




The greatest shot of colour is by the front door. I have a burgundy red weeping Japanese maple that is a bright red at this time of year.



The yellowing large maple-like leaves of flowering raspberry. Below is Solomon's Seal recognizable even now with tattered leaves.


This is the first year my fothergilla has had colour. It is one of the 'blue' ones noted for fall colour. Perhaps the brisk temperatures have helped with colour this year.

Below is oakleaf hydrangea.


I thought the blooms were all finished but no, Brookside geranium has given me one more. Brookside looks identical to Roseanne but blooms first, is quiet during August in my garden, and then blooms again after Roseanne is finished. In addition its leaves turn red in fall.



A brilliant sprig of Doll's eye berries, otherwise known as Baneberry (do not eat) and Actaea pachypoda.

Nannyberry or Viburnum lentago, is new to the garden. Mildly troubled during the summer it is doing well and has turned this lovely burgandy.



Next to the viburnum is this Redbud, almost leafless as you can see.



Below is spicebush. I thought the leaves of interest as they are like raindrops falling to earth.


I am not sure which dogwood this is but it does have some red stems. Like the fothergilla this is one of the few times I have seen such colour on this shrub.
 



Would you believe this is Beebalm?  Look at that wonderful pink, wow.



 This is Cimicifuga racemosa, now actea  something. Just when you start to feel like you are getting a handle on the latin nomenclature they change it on you.
'Chocolate' is now something closer to a burnished tan.


Finally, my silver maple. Some leaves have come down but most are still up there, like the birch trees. My beech is only just starting to change - just.


Happy raking!

26 comments:

  1. Niestety u nas już rawie nie ma liści na drzewach i krzewach, dlatego z przyjemnością patrzyłam na Twoje kolorowe. Śliczny jest ten z dodatkiem różowego koloru. Pozdrawiam.
    Unfortunately, in our Rawa has no leaves on the trees and bushes, so happy I looked at your color. Lovely is the one with the addition of pink color. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it is warmer here than where you live Giga. Fall is a really lovely time of year.

      Delete
  2. The fothergilla really should be coloring more -- talk to it! Mine was brilliant from the first season, so I hope yours will perk up and give you a nice fall show. It tends to hold leaves late,

    Such pretty colors you have in the birches and silver maples, but I know what you mean about all the yellowy green going on. Love the droopy rain-droppy spicebush! Mine is bare now but it was pretty a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking huh? OK Laurrie I will try that. What do I have to lose.
      Hey, Fothergilla....

      Delete
  3. Your photos are stunning; your burgundy red weeping Japanese maple is really beautiful and it's form and texture so enjoyable. I have an open spot and I have plans to add one this coming year. Your photo gives me a lot of push to make sure that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie. Thanks for the complements. There is nothing like great fall colour to give one inspiration!

      Delete
  4. Happy raking to you too, Patty. I like raking but I also find it very frustrating this time of year. After raking for an hour I turn my back for one minute and everything is covered in leaves again. Your autumn colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Denise. Today I had to rush out and rake the leaves by the street so that the city could pick them up. I think half of them are still up in the trees, waiting, waiting.

      Delete
  5. Hello Patty girl !
    I love that oak leaf hydrangea ( I had planned on getting one ages ago but for some reason still not yet .. I love the shape of their leaves!) .. funny about the bee balm leaf colour, it is amazing ! .. I cut all of my little ones back because of powdery mildew, but I know they will be fine next year .. I love their scent .. in fact I have essential oil in bergamot because I love that spicy smell.
    The Japanese maples ... that is why I have planted so many and especially in the back garden so we can see them from the deck doors .. they are so brilliant in Fall and Spring with that amazing red/scarlet colour ..
    Your pictures are great and I did see that one single leaf in mid air .. looks like a magic trick girl ! haha
    I have so many things to finish up in the garden the guilt is getting to me .. and a bunch of bulbs to plant .. better get out there tomorrow or it will be too late .. BIG sigh !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, one silly leaf in mid air. When I did not press the camera button there were dozens falling to the ground. I did not buy any bulbs this year so I feel for you in the cold and wet digging in bulbs. Are we crazy?

      Delete
  6. It has been a strange year for Fall color so far. I love the birch in color, especially when they are planted in groups. Your Japanese Maple is a beautiful red. Mine is dingy red this year. It was too dry a summer and the leaves really show the stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how as we live not that far from each other that the weather can be so different. My Japanese maple gets a bit of sun burn on the leaf edges which is not visible in the photo. But rain was plentiful this year.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photoof your Autumn garden!
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you both for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. You have a lot of wonderful native plants. I have been meaning to try baneberry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn. Baneberry is a nice plant with similarities to astible and the actea (cimicifuga) in leaf form. Easy and no fuss.

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy looking at all the different colors of the foliage. Sugar Maples sometimes steal the show too much--although they are spectacular. I especially enjoyed the foliage you showed us on the Fothergilla, the Geraniums, and the Japanese Maple. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, the geranium was only just staring to turn red. At some point almost the whole changes colour. As for the maple, it is having a good year.

      Delete
  10. You have great colour in the garden, Patty. Adding more red next year will just increase the overall prettiness of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Astrid, yes, I will think about that over the winter. Choices abound!

      Delete
  11. That monarda is a surprise! It reminds me a kiwi vine. I have a small tree in my garden that I thought was a v. lentago but it looks different than yours so now I'm stumped. Everything looks great but that maple is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, I bought the viburnum as lentago and it seemed to me correctly labeled. There are so many viburnums....Hope you are keeping warm.

      Delete
  12. Patty your fall garden is so pretty and has many of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think fall is looking very nice your way. I love the leaf in mid air! I take lots of photos at a setting, too.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. It is supposed to get down to 10 degrees fahrenheit tonight. It hasn't been that low since March. I think that's what they said. I'm sad, but at least it is supposed to get into the 50s a few more days this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, Fall is definitely cold this year. Just last night we dipped below 0 and there was frost on the car early this morning. Time to dress warmly.

      Delete