Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Loud Combination

This is my last post on colour combinations in my garden. One photo only to show you, so it will be quick!

This is summer time in part of the garden I do not show very much. This is by the street, a woodland re-creation that is quite wild despite my attempts to calm it down. Most of the garden season it is a quiet and subdued place, except for the moment that  butterfly weed and beebalm bloom.






I was glad to find this photo as it reminds me of this shock of colour in an otherwise sea of green. Despite growing  under birch tree clumps and beside a pine tree, some late afternoon sun enables these two plants to bloom and flourish. The beebalm, or monarda didyma, is of a scarlet hue which works beautifully with the bright orange of the butterfly weed or Asclepias tuberosa.

Never mind spring, c'mon summer!






15 comments:

  1. Na tle zielonego lasu żywe kolory z pewnością ciekawie wyglądają. Pozdrawiam.
    Against the background of green forest with vibrant colors certainly an interesting look. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange against green is rare and will always be very catchy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very catchy indeed. It brightens up a dark spot.

      Delete
  3. I am glad to learn that Asclepia tuberosa can do well in some shade. I planted some last year and was afraid they would not survive as they are not in full sun. The orange is so attractive and should attract Monarch butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do fine, tho' they do lean towards the sun. I am sure you will be happy to see them in your garden - when summer finally gets here.

      Delete
  4. The colors are beautiful. I alway associate bright colored flowers with sunny places. But they look lovely in your woodland .

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice hot combination Patty. I added some butterfly weed late in the summer and have my fingers crossed that it had enough time to establish itself before winter. I also really like the pink and blue combination in the last post. I have both plants, but not together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I am moving some plants around this year and I plan on copying one of your plant combos; the pink phlox with the black eyed susans. Loud.

      Delete
  6. I left a comment (twice actually) a few days ago and you must not have received it. I just wanted to say the two plants brighten the shade and are both kept from spreading like they do in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is strange Donna, I checked the spam folder and your comments were not there either. I know I get blocked from some wordpress sites but that's not the same.
      I have not had any problems with spreading from either the monarda or the butterfly weed even in my sunny areas - maybe not sunny enough!

      Delete
  7. I love the bright colors together. :o) I think it's really cheerful. What's fun about this planting is that you don't expect to see such bright colors in such a woodsy setting. It's a fun surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy. I am kinda surprised it works too.

      Delete
  8. Love the great colors of summer. I need some sun and warm temps.

    ReplyDelete