Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Quiet Combination

My last post showing the lovely plant combination of bleeding hearts and Virginia bluebells made me realize for the second time that I take photos of individual plants, not groups. This is something to rectify this year.
I looked back through the last few years of photos hoping to find something worthwhile to show you and despite the dearth of single plant photos, I found two of plant combo's - one of which I will share with you today.




This combination is of Canadian Ginger Asarum canadense and blue -eyed grass Sisyrinchium angustifolium ‘Lucerne’ (say that three times quickly!). The ginger makes a great shade or woodland ground cover, and that's speaking from experience. It slowly spreads its way outwards but would never be considered aggressive, just friendly. It has soft leaves and puts out a weird and wonderful purple flower under the leaves in spring.



Blue eyed grass ‘Lucerne’ is a variety of blue-eyed grass that was discovered growing in a nursery near Lucerne, Switzerland. The plants form a low clump of grassy green leaves, bearing bright blue star-shaped flowers in May and June for several weeks. Despite its name it is not really a grass, but belongs instead in the Iris family.

 I also grow the native blue -eyed grass. You can see its petals are pointed whereas Lucerne's are round. In it's natural habitat you will find it growing across the prairies, park lands and in open meadows. I first planted this little gem in a regular garden bed but it definitely prefers my gravel driveway. So, sun yes, moisture not so much.



I

19 comments:

  1. Mam je w ogródku i bardzo lubię. Mam nadzieję, że zobaczę w tym roku. W zeszłym mi trochę ich zanikło. Pozdrawiam.
    I have them in the garden and I really like. I hope to see this year. Last me some of their disappeared. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giga, I hope they come back for you too. My native ones make new babies every year, but not Lucerne.

      Delete
    2. Translator, from which you used I have only today. Were the one before, which did not work. Yours. :)

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful combination! I need to add some blue-eyed grass to my garden. I have the Wild Ginger, but that combo is fantastic! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find the blue-eyed grass in your town Beth. It is certainly an easy plant to grow and seemingly problem-free.

      Delete
  3. I have blue eyed grass, too, but mine wants more moisture. It turns brown if it gets too dry. It might be because my climate is so much warmer than yours. I love it with the ginger. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Climate is definitely a difference. I am thrilled to hear you grow them as well.

      Delete
  4. I planted European Ginger last summer and would love to add a clump of Canadian Ginger somewhere. The Blue eyed grass ‘Lucerne’ is darling and I am thinking it might to well in my sunny, dry rock garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen some lovely European gingers with fabulous mottled leaves, or glossy leaves. They are very tempting, but my ginger is does so well in the garden I don't want to mess with a great thing.

      Delete
  5. That is indeed a beautiful combination. I had Sisyrinchium angustifolium in my garden once. I don't know what happened to it. Yours with the pointed petals looks lovely Patty. What is it's name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one is Sisyrinchium montanum. Apparently there are about 13 Sisyrinchium species in Canada.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. I am happy with it too.

      Delete
  7. They look beautiful together. There are lots of the native ones growing wild in the Bruce. They grow in full sun, in meadows that are wet in spring and dry in summer. I bought a yellow Sisyrinchium last fall. I look forward to see if it survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow? There is yellow? Where did you find it Alain?

      Delete
  8. Hi Patty
    Love that ginger/ 'Lucerne' combo - very pretty! Can hardly wait to see all these wonderful plants in the garden again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome any time Astrid. It's starting to get warmer...

      Delete
  9. Patty girl that is such a nice "cool" theme combination !
    I used to have blue eyed grass but it disappeared, or I might have dug it up by mistake .. eekk !
    I think it is too easy to center our attention to individual plants .. they just draw us in and we fall for that setting to photograph .. it is good to make a note on something we want to change.
    I want to take BETTER pictures ... meaning I really have to concentrate before squeezing that button !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about taking better pictures Joy. I am a point and click girl. I have been thinking about taking a course the last couple of years, but still have not signed up.

      Delete