Monday, April 7, 2014

You won't want to miss this Canada Blooms

The Canada Blooms show is a yearly event that showcases landscape ideas for your yard, and cool things to do with your blooms and other plant materials. This year was no exception. I have seen this show change drastically over ten years at least. It has gone from a true garden show of exceptional size to a much smaller show that now runs concurrently with a home show. Still, there are  celebrity speakers of the Canadian garden world, as well as, Master Gardeners (like me!) who speak and make presentations and give garden advice to the public, a small assortment of plant vendors, landscape designers, and talented floral artists.

This year I found the juried and non-juried floral creations truly magnificent. I will show you my favorites.

Shall we start with the cakes?










Pretty impressive, yes?

How about some floral arrangements





Or a few Juried floral arrangements







Did you make it to an island get- away this winter? Perhaps you wore something like this?





Summer will arrive eventually, so perhaps you might like to add one of these outfits to your wardrobe.


O





 OK. Maybe something a bit more sophisticated.



Fun indeed and gorgeous to boot!  Did you imagine I'd take you to a fashion show?

Those were the highlights for me at the Canada Blooms show this year. I hope you  enjoyed it too.


12 comments:

  1. Were those real cakes? What a great show! Looks like a fun time. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty girl ... Those "cakes" were amazing .. too cute ! ... but I am sad to see that it is more artsy than GARDEN ... I want to see down to the ground or up the vertical pathway to plants that are interesting and useful for garden design etc ... after such a long winter, I want to see the real deal for hard core gardeners to feast their eyes on.
    Thanks for the pictures though !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real, hardcore gardeners will be disappointed, for sure (me included). That is the primary complaint about the show. Plant materials in the landscaped gardens are all the same (hellebores, hosta, bulbs, serviceberries) because what you can grow and force is so limited at this time of year. Therefore I have altered my way of thinking and am enjoying the floral arrangements.

      Delete
  3. Hi Patty
    Wow! The creation of the cakes and clothes all showed amazing imagination and creativity. I decided not to go this year b/c I too have been disappointed since the show has changed over the years. You took some great photos of very interesting stuff! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed some of the photos. I don't think I would attend the show now if I weren't volunteering for the master gardeners. The show used to have great vendors too...

      Delete
  4. I was a bit surprised by the cakes, I thought at first they were real cakes made of sugar craft, then I realised they were probably plant material squashed in a circular mould.
    The dresses looked spectacular, but this seems very far from any ‘Bloom show’ I have been to over here, perhaps things have changed here too? It’s a good few years since last time I went to a show.
    Thanks for the tour, your photos are gorgeous, although a bit surprising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree Helene it is not your average Garden Show. The cakes are spectacular. I wouldn't mind one of those dresses for an evening :)

      Delete
  5. Love the cakes! Some people are so creative. How did you even know where to start with your coverage--everything you've shared here is extraordinary. I can't even imagine how much time it took to create some of those masterpieces. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cakes were my favorite too. Some people are ever so creative!!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a very fun event! I have never been to any of the Chicago garden shows, though we used to go to a smaller one when we lived in Madison, WI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly they were going for a "wild" theme. In some cases they certainly hit the mark. Thanks for stopping by Jason.

      Delete