Saturday, May 31, 2014

A Sea of Sherwood Purple

About five years ago I purchased two plants of a low growing phlox  that I planted under a
Black Walnut tree. It thrived and so I cut long ends off the plants and replanted the ends without amendments or fanfare.  At one point early on I lost the plant tags and tried for a couple of years to locate the same phlox, but in vain it turned out.

Three years ago I showed you a photo I proudly displayed of my handiwork, this is it



Today it looks like this





 
I am a proud gardener today.

Let me introduce you to Phlox subulata 'Sherwood Purple'. I can see this wonderful sight from my bedroom window in early morning when it glows and shimmers in the eastern light. And around five in the afternoon it shines like a beacon reminding me of its presence. How could I ever forget now?

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Patty. I just love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love that stunning shade of blue! Congratulations, Patty. Your efforts really paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was definitely effort in the beginning trying to stretch those two lonely plants. Luckily the phlox roots fairly easily - just cut and plant it.

      Delete
  3. Patty girl I have this same phlox (in fact you might have been the one that ID it for me because I wasn't sure which one it was) .. it grows like a weed, but even the foliage is pretty too. Funny how we misplace name tags etc .. and wonder if we will ever know what plant is what. In the mean time we just enjoy the bits out of it ! LOL
    Joy
    PS .. what a pretty vignette to see first thing in the morning !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to realize that the leaves of this phlox are broad and not narrow like most low growing phlox at the nursery (not too observant sometimes). Very cool that you are growing the same one Joy. Great minds...

      Delete
  4. That's awesome! What a beautiful and rewarding sight! I love a plant that's easy to propagate. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there were more easy to propagate plants like this one Tammy. Would save me time and money fer sure!

      Delete
  5. Wow, under the Black Walnut, you have a real General Sherwood there. I should put some in back where a Black Walnut grows behind my garage and affects all my bedding plants near the fence. I have blue and pink phlox out front and it spreads like crazy. Time for moving some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Donna. The walnut does not seem to deter their growth at all. I started planting some in front of a second black walnut - I hope it takes there just as easily.

      Delete
  6. Hi Patty
    Beautiful! Love its delicate colour & blossom and its ferociousness in spreading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ! Can't say anything bad about this phlox.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely colour, and kudos to you for getting it to spread like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I planted a few of these last fall and they delighted me this spring...now if they grow in like yours.....wow!

    ReplyDelete