Monday, June 9, 2014

A Truly Stellar Pink

Last summer I planted my first dogwood tree. Choosing it was quite the challenge since I wanted the native Cornus florida but was very aware of the anthracnose problems it could attract. I did not want the straight kousa, although there is a mature tree down the street that has not yet flowered but when it does hold on to your hat ! flowers galore, top to bottom. The native lover in me finally ( and begrudgingly) decided to compromise (with myself) and chose Cornus Rutgan "Stellar Pink" a hybrid between the native and the Chinese dogwoods.

Here she is one year later. Her form is pretty good and the leaves presently have a pale yellow edge that should eventually turn green. I think I am still taller than Pink at 5' 6".



While certainly not covered in blooms, Pink was stellar in giving me two tiny blossoms. A feat I consider 'well done' after the cold long winter we just had. I was worried for a while in spring as she never dropped her leaves in fall and held on to them the entire winter. In April I could not take seeing her all brown and shriveled and hand picked off all the leaves. No harm done.




I hope that her blossoms will eventually become pink. Mind you the top photo is pretty true to colour and the yellow blossom with pink tinges is quite attractive. I am already looking forward to next spring!

14 comments:

  1. You seem to have made a very wise choice, given the winter we just had and the fact that it bloom from it first full summer in the garden, that is probably to most you can expect. Some are tough. To my surprise, I have seen a dogwood bloom here in the Bruce Peninsula (I don't know which one - it had pink to red flowers and was about 7 feet tall).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few red flowering dogwoods, some native cultivars and some Chinese cultivars. If it is blooming now I would guess it is one of the native ones which bloom earlier.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful tree. I like the shape. I hope you get lots of flowers next year, they have a nice color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get more flowers too ! I don't know if flowering dogwoods is ever used in traditional Japanese style gardens but the Kousa would be gorgeous in your garden Denise.

      Delete
  3. Patty I love these dogwoods no matter the colour of the flower. She is one pretty little tree .. I like how the trunk is sectioned too. I would have liked one in my garden too ... hum ? ... maybe some year a space might open up! LOL
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy! The trunk...I am not clear on what that is all about. Maybe someone else might know. Now that I have a dogwood, of course you should too :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely tree! And the fact that it survived and is flowering after its first winter, which was a doozy, is a great sign. This post has me smiling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! I am glad to provide a smile or two. Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. Hi Patty
    I think your new dogwood is lovely. Such cute blossoms. Hopefully yours will be covered in flowers soon too, just like the neighbours :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this same tree! It's a slow grower but worth the wait. :o) Keep an eye out for dogwood borers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dogwood is a tree I miss from living in PA where they grow so well. Here they are hit or miss on living through a harsh climate, some do well, others not, like the Redbuds. I hope your dogwood likes its location and blooms year after year. My grower won't grow either species of tree because of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a sweet tree, how tall will it be when 15-20 years old and how tall can it eventually become?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been contemplating a dogwood tree as well so I may have to look at this...I like the look and form.

    ReplyDelete