Monday, February 22, 2016

My garden Holiday in England - London Inner Temple Garden

Last year we made a trip to England. Where else can you see and do things garden and not run out of places to go. My husband and I spent part of the holidays touring around the southern coast of East Sussex and Kent, the Garden of England. Yes that is how they advertise Kent, the Garden of England. So I knew I was in the right place.

In London we managed a visit to Inner Temple Garden a 3 acre park that is part of the Inner Temple. The Inner Temple is  one of the four Inns of Court where you can find information on how to become a barrister; how to join the Inn; scholarships; and other things a student of law needs to know.  Also in this area is the twelfth century Temple Church, originally home to the Knights Templar. Kinda cool that. Here's a link to their website if you want a look. The park is close to the Thames River and surrounded by some wonderful looking buildings dedicated to the British law.

A highlight of this Temple Garden was seeing a medlar tree and its fruit. I have tripped over this fruit during many a historical reading not knowing exactly what it was. Something akin to an apple that can be eaten raw, (although it is an acquired taste) but is infinitely better in jellies or desserts.

 A funny looking fruit, but certainly not like an apple


The tree is not too large. Under 10 feet tall and wider than that.




We were in England in mid September and there was still heaps of colour and tons of flowers in every garden we saw. Surprising to me, although perhaps I should not have been, North American native plants were blooming everywhere. Lucky us in that we do have wonderful fall blooms and colour. 



Mixed in with the hydrangea is a plant I am looking for Begonia grandis. A bit more tender than other begonias but this one likes shade.

This last photo is to show you how they use willow that is twined and dried to hold its shape in order to support the peonies. Ingenious. In behind are Japanese anemones.

Those were all the photos I took, not that many. Photos or look at flowers. Sometimes the choice is easy. Next stop Kew Gardens, London.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling us about this garden. I know medlars but have yet to see one. It must have been a very nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous trip actually. The garden highlight for me was visiting Great Dixter Gardens. That is still to come.

      Delete
  2. This is certainly an interesting place to see. I like the idea of the last photo. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Reusing what we have available is often much nicer than buying .

      Delete
  3. My sister had a medlar tree in her garden. I don't know what she did with the fruit. It has a strange smell, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not notice any smell, but then perhaps you have to cut the fruit open?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Between the gardens and the castles with gardens it truly is a great area for garden sight seeing.

      Delete
  5. I was in England 2 yrs ago for a friends wedding and will be back this July. I can hardly wait to see all those gardens! I like how wide the medlar tree is. Interesting fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the perfect time to visit. I look forward to reading and seeing the gardens you visit while in England.

      Delete