Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Hairy Beardtongue has Germinated ! (and other bloom'in things)

My trials of germinating seed in salad containers is entering a new phase. We have some germination - yay. The containers are open to dry out the potting mix which is still quite wet. I figure since some germination has begun it couldn't hurt too much. Plus the days are warm...

Exciting, I know

In the house I am trying an Asiatic lily which you can see, some deep salmon zinnia seeds, and white scabiosa. I do not have a large selection of trays to grow in so I have decided to try alternate methods.


Elsewhere in the garden things are growing slowly. The snowdrops are finishing up while the scilla has started a few days ago. I believe the snowdrops are the double form. The scilla is probably scilla siberica.




Below is a pot of Thalia narcissus (L) and some agapanthus (R). Experimentation has been key for me this winter season. I have never really been interested in propagation before and in many ways have been overly cautious playing with plants. I think it is the fear of failure. Frankly I should not fear failure as I have failed over and over again. Eventually the lesson is learned and we move forward.
I could not find an appropriate place to plant the Thalia bulbs  last fall and so I potted them up, placed the pot within a pot protected with burlap and left it in the shed over the winter. End of March I could see the tips.
The agapanthus was planted last year. I got some foliage but it never flowered. I read later that they take a while to flower. Perhaps they like a tighter feeling in the pot too?




tete a tete

arabis or rock cress. swarmed with bees and ever so sweet smelling

narcissus and trout lily poking through


a bed you rarely see filled with sedge, ferns, grass and more
As you can see spring has just begun in Burlington Ontario despite the date. The air is warm and the sun is strong. Chickadees, cardinals and nuthatches sing throughout the day making the work of spring cleaning the garden beds much more pleasurable. Today is a good day.

10 comments:

  1. That rock cress is lovely, and it drapes just the way I want over a low stone wall. Tried it and failed -- but may try again as yours looks so pretty in earliest spring and I have just the spot for some! Didn't know arabis had such fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes definitely. It reminds me of Lick O Maid candy - did you have that as a kid? A sweet powder in a packet or stick that smelled divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring surprises. It is always a joy to see seedlings emerge. I sowed zinnia's on my balcony last year. They are so easy and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Denise, the zinnias will also be a surprise as I have no idea what kind they are: pompom, single , double ??

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your Hairy Beardtongue seeds germinating! They will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudette, If I manage to keep them alive I will save you a few if you like.

      Delete
  5. I am impressed your Arabis is already in bloom. You must be almost 2 weeks ahead of us.
    Congratulations on you success with salad containers. They must work well when you want to keep humidity high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year I am amazed with the arabis. I think the bees are grateful as I only have a few daffodils in flower and nothing else. Still scared about the containers. I need to keep these babies alive !

      Delete
  6. You might become a bit addicted to winter sowing if your penstemon are successful since it's so easy.There is a lot of info about it on the internet to guide you through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The snowdrops are finishing up while the scilla has started a few days ago

    ReplyDelete